Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Been feelin' so strange; my life is about to change

So, Chelsea and I have successfully made it to Iganga, Uganda! Our host family is awesome and humongous. And this keyboard sucks so I'm just copy/pasting emails to people.

Our room is basically two beds (fortunately with mosquito netting) and a seperate area with a toilet that you flush by pouring water in the back and pulling a chain. There is a drain in the floor and we "shower" by pouring cups of water over ourselves. Another reason I'm glad I cut my hair! Our host family is very nice and very big. They like to give us more food than we can eat, which I guess is better than going hungry.

Today we went to the Environment Office to meet our "boss" who is basically letting us do whatever we want, haha. We went with him to the district council meeting, which was kind of in English. I don't think they got anything done, but it was interesting! Then I successfully navigated us home, then back to the office, then into town! It's a good thing I have a decent sense of direction... better than Chelsea, anyway.

Overall I am enjoying myself. There is another volunteer, Brynne, staying with us. She's from Atlanta and is really nice. She's been extremely helpful in getting us settled. She also killed the chicken for dinner last night! I watched but I'm not planning on chopping heads anytime soon. It's technically a "man's job" anyway.

I am reading and journaling a lot, and trying to stay hydrated. So far I have no mosquito bites and very little sunburn, which I'm taking as a good omen.

Time to head back home, but hopefully we will come into town in a few days. I love and miss you all!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're alive! Is it humid? Hair cutting = good choice. How old is Brynne? Yay no bites and little burn! It was so cold yesterday I had to wear a sweatshirt and jeans...it's June and it's cold! Gah! Miss you both bunches! <3

    ReplyDelete